Monday, August 07, 2006

I Just Don't Get It

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I'm no genius, but when something is introduced to me, I can usually understand the concept fairly quickly. But still, there are some things that I just don't get. And I won't ever. Things that aren't real, but people wish were.

They say that nothing is impossible, but I disagree. There aren't many things that are impossible, but there are a few. Here's the first one:

Time Travel

This is impossible. I love to just sit and think about time travel and read books about time travel. And no matter how many ways I figure it, it just doesn't work. There's too many variables that would be changed by a single instance of time travel. And this is what makes it impossible. Obviously no one can travel through time, but if they could, it just wouldn't work. No matter what happened, the course of humanity would change. Say you travel back 100 years and make some offhand remark. This could result in some invention being invented 50 years too early. Which would entirely change the course of society. And let's say you travel forward in time. You find out something that happens in the future then when you come back to the present, you take steps to change it. Which completes annihilates that future you just visited. Even if the future was nothing special, you would just subconciously act differently due to your trip and this would change everything.

Time travel just doesn't work. Anything that can be brought up as to why it would work can be refuted.

All I've said about it is kinda confusing, but that's how time travel appears to me. When I think about it, I go off on all these tangents trying to justify it and make it work. But it doesn't and it can't. Time travel would kick ass, but it'll only happen in books and movies.

2 Comments:

At 11:50 p.m., Blogger Pilon, A said...

That's why a lot of theories say that you can only travel forwards in time and once there only back to where you were..or maybe not back at all.

 
At 11:53 p.m., Blogger Pilon, A said...

Sorrym didn't read it all thouroughly, some theories also state that only the person who does the time travelling will know the change because he will have been in a different time when the change occured. Also, some theories say that although you may be able to change the past it is for a parallell dimension exaclty identical to your own and that it is imppossible to change you own time, just those of the other dimensions. Whether that is really considered time travel though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home