Sunday, October 09, 2005

A Poor Substitute

Well, it's Thanksgiving. My family is all gathered together probably eating turkey and homemade perogies. I'm home alone eating a cold turkey sub from work. I have to say, it's a poor substitute. And the people upstairs are eating turkey...I can smell it.

This is a good example of what I do to pay tuition. I am currently debt free and that is how I will graduate. This is a rare happening. Most university students graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of debt. I fortunately have escaped that. A few things have happened to make this happen:

  • Hard work in high school - for this I received approximately $16,000 in scholarships when I graduated.
  • Luck at birth - I was born into a middle class family with parents who are able to support me.
  • Hard work now - I go to school 12 months a year and work a minimum of 30 hours a week on top of this.
So, in order to pay tuition and remain debt free, I need my job. Which means I can't go home on all the holidays. Pretty much just on Christmas. But it's ok. I get paid time and a half tomorrow, so that cheers me up. It will be all worth it when in 20 years I am in a good financial situation because of my hard work now.

Anyway, enjoy your turkey (bastards!) and have a happy Thanksgiving!!

5 Comments:

At 10:11 p.m., Blogger Pilon, A said...

We never had any perogies. The food was good, especially since I hadn't eaten a thing all day. The kids were wild. We missed you. Guess we'll dee you at christmas, maybe sooner but sadly I doubt it.

 
At 5:30 p.m., Blogger Soulfood said...

Aww, thanx. Yeah, I won't be home until Christmas. It just isn't in the stars. However, you can visit me. For the only time I ever clean my place is when people come to visit me.

 
At 11:00 p.m., Blogger Pilot said...

Yep no perogies. I'll put the pictures from Thanksgiving and the like up tommorrow.

 
At 1:30 p.m., Blogger Steven said...

You know what's an even worse substitute for turkey? NOTHING.

 
At 2:37 p.m., Blogger Pilot said...

Steve raises a valid point. People were starving to death and you had the gall to bitch about your little sub. Preposterous, It's a SCANDAL, I'm gonna write it up in my blog.

Just kidding.

Yessh lighten up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home