Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Job Woes

Well, you all know I was interviewing in PA at Conexus. Didn't get the job. Not pissed about that, but pissed about something. I wasn't home to take the phone call, but received the message on my answering machine. I was told that I interviewed "extremely well" and I had an "awful lot" of the skills they wanted. However, because I expressed an interest in getting involved in politics, I was passed over for the job.

What kind of fucking bullshit is that!? Seriously. If they had said that they thought I was a bitch and they didn't want to work with me, I think I would have been less pissed than I am now. (Maybe) I just don't get why it's such a bad thing to be interested in politics and the workings of government.

I am supremely pissed, so much that I wrote a letter that I'm in the mood to send out to, oh, media outlets, politicians, etc. But I'm posting it here first. Because sometimes I'm in the mood to do something, but once I calm down, the next day I'm not quite so in the mood to do something. So, I'm posting it here. If you think it's a bad idea for me to send it out, let me know. Or if you think I should send it out, but change something in it, let me know that too.

Anyway, here it is. It pretty much expresses the majority of my opinions. (Which we all know can be controversial)

*************************************************************************

Dear _____________,

I recently had an interview with one of Saskatchewan’s major financial institutions. During this interview, I was asked about my long term goals. I stated that my long term goal is to get involved with the government. I mentioned that I did not want to be a politician, because I felt that I fit better on the bureaucracy side of the government. The next week, I came home to a message on my answering machine from this institution. I was told that I interviewed “extremely well” and that I had an “awful lot” of the skills they were looking for. However, I was not offered the job due to the fact that I showed an interest in politics.

One would think that these institutions would be happy to be the starting point of a young Canadian’s career. I’m about to graduate with a 4-year Bachelor of Commerce degree with a major in finance. I have little to no experience and am looking for a place where I can spend a few years learning about finance in a practical environment. I realize that saying my long term goal is in government makes it seem as if I’m not a long-term employee. But I did say that I was looking for stability and a place to settle for some time. For all they know, I might have ended up loving the job and never leaving the company. Also, what’s wrong with giving a young person a good view of a company from the inside? Even if I end up in government, at least I will have a working knowledge of that company, and will go to the government with a positive image of it. Now, I am coming out with a negative image of a company who does not support the interests of young Canadians.

This message went on to say that another branch of this institution would be opening up soon, in my area. If I were to “change my mind about the direction of my career” I was welcome to re-apply there. That’s a flat out insult! Why would they assume that I am suddenly going to stop liking politics and completely change my long term goals in life? This is who I am and that’s not going to change, especially for some close-minded institution.

I’m not upset about not being offered the job. I’m upset about the reason. If I had been told that I was too young, too inexperienced, or even that they just plain didn’t like me, that would have been fine. But to be told that I interviewed extremely well and that I have the skill set they are looking for, but because I have an interest in politics, I’m not welcome there is simply a slap in the face.

Here’s my question: When did it become a bad thing for young Canadians to show an interest in politics and the workings of their government?

Sincerely,

SMP

6 Comments:

At 9:53 p.m., Blogger Ross said...

i completely agree with you. i would send that letter you wrote to the editorials section of the leader post or star phoenix, or both. you should also contact whoever interviewed you and ask them to elaborate on their explanation.

 
At 10:28 p.m., Blogger Soulfood said...

Thanx for the agreement.

I wrote it specifically so it could be sent to an editorial section. I didn't name the company or anything, I just think it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

My biggest problem with contacting the person who interviewed me is that it's my friend's mom. So, I don't want to inadvertantly cause any problems.

 
At 11:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. That's insanity.

Good letter though. Send it to papers! Send it to some governemnt people, that could be fun!

 
At 11:24 p.m., Blogger Pilot said...

Hit the papers with it Shan... make sure you get it in the The Prince Albert Herald.

 
At 1:00 a.m., Blogger Pilon, A said...

And on top of that, you smell.....There, I commented, happy?

 
At 11:45 p.m., Blogger Saskboy said...

Excellent letter. That's complete BS that they'd use future political ambition as an excuse for not hiring you. Part of what makes Canada a free country is that no matter which political party you support [or don't support], you have the same rights and expectations as a citizen in matters not regarding politics.

Perhaps consider yourself lucky you didn't end up in a workplace so obviously controlled by people so anti-politics.

Politics is only about the most important thing a young person can be involved in, [sarcasm on] it makes perfect sense for an employer to tell someone to stay meek and in the backbenches of society [sarcasm over].

 

Post a Comment

<< Home