Monday, November 14, 2005

Jobs

One of the scariest things about graduating is finding a job. I'm extremely scared about that because I took a commerce degree. I majored in finance but I hate finance. And there's such a vast amount of things I could do with my degree. But I don't know what I want to do. I really have no idea. And it's freaky looking for a job.

First, the resume. Making resumes SUCKS. Anyone who's made one knows what I mean. And what I'm doing is making a functional resume. That means that rather than having my previous employment at the forefront, it will be in the background, maybe 3 lines long. What I'm going to up-play are the skills I've learned through taking my degree. Which means I am going to completely re-vamp my resume and start from scratch. Which BLOWS.

Secondly, references. Finding references can be harder than one would think. Sure, I can get my manager and owner from work, but what about academic references. Getting a reference from a prof is harder than it sounds. Most profs in university have no idea who their students are. So getting a reference out of one may be difficult.

Third, interviews. I am deathly afraid of interviews. I'm basically going to chalk up the first, oh, 3-5 as learning experiences. Don't worry if I don't get the job, just be glad that I have the mistakes from one more interview to learn from.

And you know, just finding the jobs is difficult. I have a bag of crap I picked up at a career fair in September that I plan on sifting through over Christmas to see what I would like to do.

On the upside, I just got an e-mail from a person at Freedom 55 Financial. I am taking a class in insurance and it's actually fairly interesting. So, when at the career fair, I made sure to track down all the insurance companies. I left my resume with one of them and just got an e-mail from them. So, he would like me to phone him and set up a time to meet with him. This is good. Too bad I think he's already gone for the day, I'll e-mail him tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 4:51 p.m., Blogger Steven said...

You seem to be pretty worried about this whole 'get a career' going thing. This probably isn't the time to tell you that you've been replaced by me at Subway... and in your entire life... just... sorry, guess they thought I was more qualified to be you.


Better luck next life?

 
At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Soulfood said...

It's ok...I'm taking over for Martha Stewart...I'm just better at the business ends of things.

 
At 11:28 p.m., Blogger Pilot said...

Here's one for ya, I sent in an e-mail to one of those "Work From Home" things, just to see what it's about.

How sad that people fall for it. They ask for alot of money and promise very little.

And they have the design sense of a 74 year old rice farmer from Japan with a gimpy hand and cataracts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home